Monday, December 30, 2013

A New Year Prayer

For whatever reason, sometimes the only thing that can calm my children is for me to sing over them.  When the long shadows overtake them as they lie in their beds at night, they often request songs of me. I am their personal jukebox. 

Lately, they have been requesting Oceans by Hillsong.  They have never been much for childish lullabies or lyrics that rhyme but have no soul.  No, my kids have always requested lyrics they know will make the darkness flee, that will push evil back down to their footstool.

It's been a few weeks since I have sung over them, since they have requested anything.  I think it's because of Christmas.  When your attention is wholly fixed on the Babe wrapped in light, there is no room for fear.  It's the law of love.  Perfect love casts out fear. And in Him there is no darkness.

As I was getting ready this morning, the day after Christmas, the day after Love came down, I started thinking.  The darkness might creep back in tonight. Tonight may not be silent for them. Tonight they may be headed back down the mountain to the valley of death.

So I started singing a bit.  

"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders.
Let me walk upon the waters
wherever you would call me.
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander.
And my faith will be made stronger
in the presence of my Savior.
....
And I will call upon your name
and keep my eyes above the waves
when oceans rise
my soul will rest in your embrace
for I am yours and you are mine."
      
                                                               - Hillsong United


Oh how I pray these words over them, their lives as my soul sings each verse in bold confidence.  May the Lord lead them where their trust is without borders.  It's the only place to really live.  And may they call upon His name always.

As we approach a new year, this is my prayer for all of us. The Lord is already asking, inviting me into things where by trust is challenged.  So I pray this repeatedly... my trust Lord. without borders. And my soul, Lord. Resting in your embrace. 

I have found this past year to be spiritually stagnant. (more on that later perhaps)  And so I pray for a fresh fire of faith to burn deep within me, to burn up any boundaries holding me back from where the Lord is leading me. 

Lord, this is my prayer for the year to come.  That I would worship You with reckless abandon, trust steadily in You even in the midst of the mystery, and rest in Your embrace as I learn to love like You - extravagantly. Spirit lead me... in the presence of my Savior.  Take me farther than my feet could ever wander, Lord.  Show me Your glory, Yahweh.  May all my days be wholeheartedly devoted to You. And I will call upon Your name for I am Yours... and You are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment